At All Saints’, we share in over 120 years of faith and service, marked by gifts we are still using with gratitude:
A silver chalice and paten, donated by in 1893 by Mae Helen Bacon Boggs, Shasta County pioneer and philanthropist.
Our altar has been in use since it was donated in 1902.
Our steeple bell was rescued from an old locomotive, rang out from the original church building at Court and Yuba streets, and still and still rings the call to worship before each daily office and Sunday service.
In 1892, a group of Episcopalians first met with the idea of establishing a mission to serve Shasta County. The first services were held on January 29, 1893, and the mission was organized less than a week later. By 1895, weekly attendance averaged 100. The Red Bluff Daily News stated, “There were more Episcopalians in and around Redding than there are in Red Bluff,” which was then the largest town in the area.
The first of All Saints’ three church buildings was consecrated on April 20, 1901, at the corner of Court and Yuba streets in downtown Redding. By 1927, national events had caught up with Shasta County, and the loss of the area's copper mining industry resulted in an exodus. As a result, the mission reverted to pastoral care under Archdeacon Lurtsell and his staff, and Holy Eucharist was an annual event.
In October, 1931 the mission was reconstituted with a regular priest and services. By 1946, All Saints’ had attained parish status and was incorporated as a not-for-profit corporation.
The little church at Court and Yuba was enlarged in 1948, and again in 1953. In the late 1960s, All Saints’ outgrew that building and entered into an experiment in ecumenism with the First Presbyterian Church. Together they formed the Church Center on Placer Street.
In 1970, All Saints’ completed the construction of two sanctuaries and an office building, which were added to the parish hall and Sunday School rooms already in use by the Presbyterians at the Church Center site. By the end of the decade, All Saints’ had grown to over 400 parishioners, and had a Sunday School with 80 students. In 1980, a significant portion of the congregation with young children left the parish, followed by the departure of half the congregation to form St. Luke’s Traditional Episcopal Church in 1982.
By the mid-1980s, having fulfilled its financial commitments for the Church Center facility, All Saints’ sold its interest to First Presbyterian Church and embarked upon the process of securing a parcel and building a new church on Benton Drive. The first services in the current church building were held on Christmas Eve, 1988. It snowed!
Parishioners of All Saints’ added Memorial Hall in 1994, and opened the All Saints’ Thrift Shop as an outreach to the community. To this day, 70% of all thrift shop profits are donated to local non-profits. Staffed by more than 35 volunteers, the Thrift Shop is nearing the half-million dollar mark in total contributions to the community.
Throughout its history, the people of All Saints’ have played significant roles in civic life in and around Redding. Local history is peppered with the names of parishioners who have given of themselves through their vocations, volunteer work, and leadership roles. The church thrives today, with parish and community groups gathering here every day of the week, thanks to the foundations set for us for us by faithful parishioners, and the grace of God.
Milestones in All Saints' History
In late 1892 a group of Episcopalians in Redding met with the thought of establishing a mission to serve Redding and Shasta County.
January 29, 1893 The first organized services, one in the morning and one in the evening, were held in the Presbyterian Church (another mentioned location was Mistletoe School). The services conducted by Reverend T. H. Gilbert of Red Bluff included his choir, and reports state, “the church was filled to overflowing at each service.” Between the services a meeting was held to consider forming a mission.
February 9, 1893 The Mission of All Saints’, Redding, was organized.
1893 Shasta County pioneer and philanthropist Mae Helen Bacon Boggs donated a silver chalice and paten, which are still in use at All Saints’. Visiting priests gave holy communion monthly and lay readers guided the morning prayer service on the remaining Sundays in various fraternal lodges and the old school on Pine Street (1893-1902). The priests were from Red Bluff and Colusa, and traveled to Redding by train.
1894 The Reverend T. H. Gilbert, priest in charge.
1895 The Reverend James Cope, priest in charge. The Red Bluff Daily News stated, “there were more Episcopalian in and around Redding than there are in Red Bluff.” Attendance was l00 per service.
1897 The Reverend William Gill, priest in charge.
1901 The first of All Saints’ three churches was consecrated by Bishop W. W. Moreland at the corner of Court and Yuba Streets and paid for. The church was enlarged in 1948 and again in 1953.
Services were held here until 1969. The Reverend A. C. Burleson was the priest in charge.
1902 Our current altar has been used since 1902 and was the gift of Thomas B. Dozier, Esq. The copper smelter at Keswick and its Mine at Iron Mountain were operated by an English company and thus brought many Anglicans to the area.
1902 The Reverend O. St. John Scott, priest in charge.
May 19, 1902- January 1, 1905 The Reverend Norman Bond Harris.
October 1, 1905- February 1, 1906 The Reverend A. C. Mitchell.
September 1, 1906- May 1, 1907 The Reverend H. A. R. Cresser.
March 1, 1909- October 8, 1909 The Reverend Chas. H. Poroell.
March 2, 1911 The Reverend Trent Cockeroft.
February 1, 1916- August 30, 1916 The Reverend A. W. Bell.
September 1, 1916- May 24, 1920 The Reverend E. S. Bartlam.
November 14, 1920- May 1923 The Reverend Clarence Hinman Sake.
May 1924- March 3, 1927 The Reverend Privon Bell.
May, 1927 Archdeacon Ban G. Lurstell and staff, mission reverted to pastoral care.
Until 1929 Archdeacon came once a year from Sacramento to celebrate holy communion.
1929 Regular services, usually evening prayer, resumed with visiting officiants.
February 1, 1930 Levey Ward, candidate for orders.
October, 1931 Mission was formally reconstituted and had a regular priest and services.
October 1, 1931-December 3, 1934The Reverend Edward A. McGowan.
September 6, 1936-September 26, 1937The Reverend W. W. Gage.
April 9,1939- June 2, 1940The Reverend George G. Hoisholt.
March 2, 1941- October 28, 1942 The Reverend E. J. Mahr.
September 26, 1943- March 11, 1945 The Reverend W. W. Gaper.
September 1, 1945- November 14, 1950 The Reverend James E. Price, rector.
February 28, 1946 All Saints’ Episcopal Church of Redding, California incorporated as a not-for- profit corporation and received parish status.
December 15, 1950- October 1957 The Reverend Thomas B. Turnbull, rector.
January 15, 1958- January 14, 1965 The Reverend Galen H.Onstad, rector.1960s
May 1, 1965- June 30, 1971The Reverend Robert D. Noble, rector. During his tenure All Saints’ established missions in Weaverville (St. Phillip’s) and Burney, with Fr. Noble assisting with supply. All Saints’ continued to provide supply clergy to St Phillips until its closure in the 1990s.
1969-1970 All Saints’ outgrew the Court and Yuba Street church, and formed the Church Center with First Presbyterian on Placer Street. All Saints’ constructed (and later fully paid for) two sanctuaries and an office structure – which were added to the existing parish hall and Sunday School building of First Presbyterian.
August 15, 1971- October 15, 1978 The Reverend Harold E. Parrott, rector.
October 15, 1978- August 31, 1982 The Reverend Reid S. Rutherford, rector.
Late 1970s All Saints’ had grown to over 400 parishioners and had a Sunday School with 80 students in attendance.
1979 The liturgy of the church was revised, a new Book of Common Prayer was published, and Holy Eucharist became the prevailing service.
1980 A significant number of parishioners with children left the parish.
October 1, 1982- June, 1986 The Reverend Max O. Nye, rector.
1982 A group of parishioners left and founded Saint Luke’s Traditional Episcopal Church across town.
Mid 1980’s In 1983, the building commission was formed to look at a new location for All Saints’. All Saints’ sold its interests in the Church Center to First Presbyterian Church in 1986 and rented the Senior Nutrition Center on Court and Eureka Way while it constructed a new church on Benton Drive.
May 1, 1987- December 31, 1995The Reverend Dr. Lester Leon Westling, Jr., rector.
December 24, 1988 First services held in new church on Benton Drive.
January 22, 1989 All Saints’ Church on Benton Drive was consecrated byBishop John L. Thompson.
November 6, 1989 Hook and Hastings pipe organ was installed and dedicated
March 26, 1989- June 17, 1990The Venerable William MacBeth, associate priest.
1989-1990 The Reverend Frederick William Mayo, associate priest.
1989-August 1990 The Reverend Philip S. Reinheimer, associate priest.
1994 All Saints’ constructed and fully paid for its parish hall, which was consecrated and commenced use. All Saints’ Thrift Shop established as an outreach project.
May, 1997- January 7, 2013The Reverend Jeff Frost, rector.
2002-2004 The Reverend Julie Honig Smith, assistant rector – shared with St. Barnabas, Mount Shasta.
2002-2006 Pastor Bill Griffin, mission pastor, shared with St. James Lutheran Church and Mosaic Ministries.
2003-2004 Eaton Hall was constructed and completed, following the “Building for the Children of God” capital campaign.
2004-2007 The Reverend Art Lillicrapp, priest associate
2006-2018The Reverend Canon Charles L. Poole, priest associate